History of the BSASA
In 1912 a group of well known talented billiard players held a
meeting at the Palace Billiard Hall in Rundle St. Adelaide operated
by the late P.J.Brady and formed the Amateur Billiards Association of
South Australia. It is understood that Mr. Brady acted as secretary
and continued to do so for some years. The first state championships
were held in late 1913 under the auspices of Mr. Brady and continued
annually until 1933. Billiards of course being played exclusively.
In 1934 the Association moved and rented 1st floor city premises in
central Grenfell St. where 3 tables were installed, the necessary
finance was provide by 20 members who purchased 5 pound ($10)& 10
pound ($20) debentures to a total of 200 pounds ($400). These were
finally redeemed in 1948. The main benefit from this move was, of
course, meant we had control and were the sole tenants of the area
rented and admission restricted to financial members of the
Association only. The advantages that stemmed from such arrangements
are obvious and it became the association's policy to endeavour to
maintain this situation at all times.
Unfortunately in late 1957 the Grenfell St. building was demolished
to provide for the construction of much larger premises and we became
temporarily homeless, as at that time suitable premises were
unavailable. However, to maintain continuity of membership a small
room was rented near by over a café where members met for
social discussion, just waiting for the opportunity to obtain
premises suitable to the needs of the Association. In the meantime
the 3 tables were stored.
The following year the Postal Institute kindly made 3 of their tables
available on 1 night per week. By this time the membership had
dwindled to 12 and each of them contributed 5 pounds ($10) annually
to keep the Association afloat.
In September 1959 we became aware of the availability of basement
accommodation in the A.N.A. Building, 45 Flinders Street, Adelaide, 2
blocks south from Grenfell St. and with the co-operation of the
previous tenants, the Bookmakers Club of S.A., the A.B.A. was able to
take over the lease of these premises. To be affectionately known as
"The Dungeon", in years to come.
Modifications to suit our special requirements were affected and the
3 tables removed from storage and installed. During the subsequent
years another table was donated by one of the Vice Patrons and in
1968 a 5th. Table was purchased.
In 1984 after 25 good years at 45 Flinders St., the ANA Building
changed ownership and our very generous lease was terminated. The
Association was able to obtain a short term lease on suitable
premises at 133 Port Road, Brompton, and following minor alterations
was able to re-commence operations in October 1984.
After 3 years at Brompton, accommodation was again acquired in the
city at 288 Waymouth St. on the 1st. Floor. After 3 years it was
becoming difficult to justify staying in these premises with such a
high rental and after a special extraordinary meeting was called, the
association members decided to sell the tables to a private concern
who set up a business at these premises and was known as the Cue Club
and invited the Association to use the said premises as our
clubrooms. This arrangement was good for both parties for the 8 years
it lasted, but due to another special meeting of the members in 1997,
it was decided to once again move to premises at another city
location, at 176 Pulteney St., which was located at the rear of the
building which was leased by UQ2, another privately run
establishment, who welcomed us to set up our clubrooms at the rear of
their rental premises.
It is presently not known how long the Association will remain at the
current establishment, we hope for a long time yet.
In March 1985, the Association was required to remove reference to
amateurs from it's name and rules, and consequently the Association
became the BILLIARDS AND SNOOKER ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA INCORPORATED.
The following senior administrators obviously had much to do with our progress.
 |